Sweet Potato and Lavender Sponge Pudding
Makes 6 (¼ pint/140ml puddings)
Add “Sweet potato steamed pudding” to Favourites
451mcg vitamin A
Bottom of Form
100g butter, plus extra for greasing
75g caster sugar
75g brown sugar
50ml vegetable oil
150g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
½tsp chopped dried or fresh lavender
200g sweet potatoes, grated
- Grease 6 pudding basins with butter then dust with flour, shaking out any excess.
- Beat together the butter, sugars and oil.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fold in the flour and lavender.
- Add the sweet potatoes and combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pudding basins. Cover each pudding withaluminium foil and cook in a steamer for about 40-45 minutes or until cooked (if using a single large basin the cooking time will increase to about 1hour and fifteen minutes).
- Remove the puddings from the moulds and serve with a dollop of crème fraîche.
· Lavender can be replaced with any other spice that you like.
· These freeze well, and can be warmed up in a microwave.
· If you do not have a steamer cover the bottom of a deep roasting tray with kitchen paper, place the puddings on the paper and fill the tray with water half way up the pudding moulds. Cover the tray with foil and place in a preheated oven 180°C/gas mark 4 for 40-45 minutes.